Saturday, November 14, 2015

Video Review Module 11

  1. The two films I have selected to view were Matisse and Picasso and The Impact of Cubism. The reason behind picking the video Matisse Picasso is because Picasso is one of my favorite artists and I felt this would be a great opportunity to learn more about him and his work and this video seemed to do exactly that and it also informed me a lot about Matisse. I picked the video The Impact of Cubism because I don't know much about cubism so I used this opportunity to pick the video that provided a better understanding.
  2. In the video Matisse and Picasso, I learned that the relationship that Matisse and Picasso have is unique. Matisse likes to rationalize and Picasso is impulsive. In the video it said that Picasso liked Matisse's simplicity and that Matisse used innocence and Picasso used the intellectual approach with art. In the video, The Impact of Cubism, I learned that cubism represents form and shape. In the video they talked a lot about certain artworks and how they had cubism. One artwork that I learned a lot about was The Breakfast Table by Juan Gris'. I learned that this piece of art had strong shapes and had still life. The artist stated that he works with abstraction and ends with the real objects and he was a cubist artist. Another artwork I learned a lot about was Champ de Mars by Robert Delanay. I learned that it was a period piece, and that the subject takes on life and color the viewer would not expect. This piece of art had spatial relations as well as the element of time and memory which I thought was interesting.
  3. The readings relate to the text because in chapter 21 the author talks about how Henri Matisse was the leader of the wild new trend of expressionism. The book also talks about how Pablo Picasso wanted to reduce the role of color to a minimum to concentrate on the problem of representing form in space which he latter embarked on the movement known as cubism. The book went into detail about cubism but the video helped me to get a better understanding with all the examples and the in-depth explanations. The reading talked a little about Matisse but the video provided me with much more information to take away about him.
  4. I really enjoyed both videos, at first I thought it was just going to be an hour long video dragging on about points that were irreverent but these two videos were an hour long about important and intriguing information. The videos and the reading helped me get a better understanding about cubism and its important role in artwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment